Solo Piano Lessons
- Once-a-week Online Lessons with Recorded Assignments.
- Learning Goals are set by the student. Students are encouraged to have flexible goals that match changing daily schedules, as this fosters more learning than fixed and rigid goals.
- Daily Piano Practise is compulsory:
- 5 days practise with 2 non-consecutive holiday/s each week is good.
- Practise holidays are good and a weekend holiday each month is recommended.
- Mini Practise Sessions on busy days will help you keep the learning going so you pick up quick when your schedule settles.
- View the Studio Calendar Open Days for October-December 2022.
These are lessons with Two Students Per Lesson, without Recorded Assignments, and suit students who like slower-paced teaching and enjoy having a partner in learning.
All other terms for Solo Piano Lessons apply to Partner Lessons.
Student & Parent Responsibilities
- Daily Piano Practise.
- Setting Up for online lessons in advance, with all books and resources printed and devices charged and logged in, ready for use.
- Keeping the lesson room quiet and undisturbed in order to maximize the effectiveness of the online lesson.
- Using or learning to use gmail, google drive and google calendar to view their lesson schedules, studio events and announcements, and to upload assignments.
- Parents will need to be around during the piano lesson and ready to assist their child during online lessons.
- Preschool Piano Parents will need to be more involved in the piano lessons. The piano lesson extends to providing guidance to help preschool-piano-parents balance daily piano practise needs with their own daily schedules.
The Practise Instrument
Every piano student needs to have either an acoustic or a digital piano at home. A few lesson slots are available for keyboard students who wish to start lessons with a 5 or 7 octave basic keyboard and upgrade to a piano at a later date.
Please talk to me to understand the difference between basic keyboards, digital pianos and acoustic pianos before you invest in an instrument.
- Video Lessons are a great option for when students can’t be present at their lesson.
- There are no Make-Up’s for lessons missed by the student.
- Lessons missed by me will be made up or refunded.
A fixed lesson schedule gives me time to study and improve the quality of my teaching. And gives you time to plan vacations and family activities, as well as adequate practise time between lessons.
A Guide to Taking a Video Lesson
Video Lessons are an excellent option to make up missed lessons and students who have taken them feel they work very well and provide value.
- Students will upload recordings of ALL practise homework (not just their weekly Recorded Assignments) in their HW drives, when they opt for a Video Lesson.
- Optional but recommended – record an audio or video clip: Tell me how busy or relaxed your schedule was and will be, ask questions, and tell me about anything you’d like me to focus on in this lesson.
- I’ll check your recordings by 9.30am on the day of your lesson – for early morning (in IST) lessons this happens one day earlier.
- Your lesson gets recorded during your lesson time slot and will be uploaded into your drive by 8pm IST on your lesson day.
- Please view the lesson and practise it. Do your best, use your own judgement and improvise if you get confused – it’s creative and fun to explore a topic on one’s own.
- Questions on the assignment will be taken up at your next lesson.
- Student information is confidential. Homework recordings submitted by the student are used only for teaching and are deleted after the lesson.
- Social Media – Students may, if they wish, submit videos to be posted publicly at my website, YouTube channel or on other social media platforms under the following terms:
- They will record these videos separately, hands only or with a profile view that conceals their faces.
- The names and identity of all students will be kept private.
- Videos or recordings will be permanently added to my channel and will stay there for as long as I keep them there.
- These rules apply to all videos as well as YouTube Concerts at Anitaelise Piano Studio.
- Students participating in public events hosted by other organizers will submit their details, photographs and recordings for these events with the understanding that these will be shared publicly as per event rules. Posters and event advertisements that are public may be posted at my website, YouTube channel or on other social media platforms.
- Students are not given recording access or permission to record during any lessons whether online or in-studio. Please talk to me at the start of the lesson if you need me to record sections of the lesson to help you practise.
- Examinations are optional and students may choose to study with or without them.
- Students may choose to appear for piano exams through Trinity College London, ABRSM or LCM. Online examinations are now available.
- Students living in India will book their examinations through Anitaelise Piano Studio.
- Students living out of India will book their examination directly and enter details of Anitaelise Piano Studio in the ‘presented by’ or ‘teacher details’ field. They will send me a PDF image of their report and certificate afterwards.
Before the Examination
A piano examination is very different from a written examination. Performance levels only stay consistent with regular practise, and diminish with gaps in practise.
- Please discuss any pre-examination holiday plans with me when planning dates of examinations.
- Students will be assessed before the examination, so they have a fair idea of their readiness for the examination and a time to brush up weak areas.
- Fees for online examinations are due after the examination recordings is complete. Fees for face-to-face examinations may be paid after all examination work has been learned.
Please remember that what sounds wonderful to a student may be just ‘barely ready’ with a lot of rough edges that need to be sorted out with further practise. Students will therefore need my approval before they participate in any music events or public performances.
Rules For Online Lessons
- Please set-up in advance and check your set-up. My post A Student’s Guide To Online Piano Lessons will help new students with this.
- Video Lessons will replace online lessons when there are internet or power issues, if there are no extra un-charged lessons in the schedule in that month.
Rules For In-Studio Events
- Students will use the teaching premises and pianos with care and after washing or sanitizing their hands.
- Food and liquids need to be kept away from the pianos, and any studio equipment.
- Children will be accompanied by their parents and parents will be responsible for the conduct of their children within the studio/event premises.
- Students will stay in the teaching room unless they need to use the washroom. The rest of the premises is private and children are not allowed to explore it.
- Please use mild deodorants and perfumes for any in-studio events and refrain from spraying your clothes with perfume, as I am allergic to strong perfume.
- India Students – Phone Calls, Email and SMS for Messages.
- Out-Of-India Students – WhatsApp for Calls and Email for Messages.
- Call Hours:
- Weekdays – 10.30am to 6.30pm in IST.
- Saturday – 10.30am to 3.30pm in IST.
Please call at any time during my working hours. My phone is on silent during lessons so that my students get my full attention during lesson time and calls don’t disturb the lesson. I’ll call you back when I have a break between lessons.
What Your Fees Pay For
Fees cover the following:
- Lesson fees for 3 lessons a month. Any extra lessons in the schedule are not charged.
- Access to Studio-Licensed Digital Materials and Resources that I purchase for the use of my students.
Fees do not cover anything other than what is listed above. The cost of books other than the digital resources mentioned above, and fees for examinations, in-person workshops and events conducted by me, or events at external venues, are additional costs and will be borne by the student.
- Fees can be paid via NEFT only.
- Receipts are emailed to the student in one working day.
- Mid-Quarter Enrolments – fees will be pro-rated based on the number of months.
- All fees and payments received are Non-Refundable. They are based on enrolment – not attendance – and they reserve your lesson slot.
- I reserve the right to stop lessons immediately for any reason I think fit, and in this case will refund fees for lessons I do not teach if they have been paid for.
Fee Due Dates
|Teaching Quarter||Fee Due Date||Last Payment Date||Late Payments Due Date *|
|January-March||December 10th||December 15th||December 21st|
|April-June||March 10th||March 15th||March 21st|
|July-September||June 10th||June 15th||June 21st|
|October-December||September 10th||September 15th||September 21st|
Terms for the use of Studio Licensed Music and Resources, and Teaching Materials
- Any music, materials and resources I provide to my students, whether in printed or digital form, or by way of access to apps and websites, are provided for the use of my students only, for their use in piano lessons and piano practise, for the duration of learning with me only.
- Any teaching materials I provide to my students, whether in music sheets or in videos, are provided for the use of my students only, for their use in piano lessons and piano practise, for the duration of learning with me only.
- Circulating any of the above resources or using them for any other purpose is strictly prohibited.
- The act of accepting these resources when I provide them binds my students legally to the terms under which I provide them.
Aside from the above, abiding by these terms and using legal music, materials and resources helps composers earn.
Deemed Acceptance of This Policy
Fees are accepted under the above policy only. Therefore any fee payment is deemed to be an acceptance of this policy.
A warm welcome to Anitaelise Piano Studio!
I hope my teaching helps you experience the joy that comes from learning.
Anita Elise Kohli – Piano Teacher, Educator & Lifelong Piano Student.