Welcome to my piano teaching studio!
I teach Solo Piano Lessons to students of all ages in Khargar, Navi Mumbai. My piano teaching studio has a place for anyone who sees music as a part of education, and is willing to invest time and effort in daily piano practise.
My students get one-on-one teaching in Solo Piano Lessons and have the option of attending additional group lessons with rhythm exercises, student performances and duet playing.
Read on to know about the lesson structure and other terms and conditions.
Anita E Kohli,
B. Com, PGDBA (Indo-German Training Centre), ATCL Piano
Solo piano lessons for students of all ages
Solo piano lessons (one student per class only) are the best option for students who are committed to practising daily at home. Goto the FAQ section if you wish to know if your child is old enough for piano lessons.
Choose what you wish to learn and the learning style.
Personality growth and changes in the way you think, study and work.
A pace to suit the individual student.
Learn practise techniques and how to organise your piano practise at home.
Most young children need parent support for piano practise at home and parents who are interested can watch a review of the class or talk to me during the last 15 minutes of class time.
The Lesson Structure :
One lesson each week on the allotted day and 3 Lessons a month.
Lessons are held in Week 1, 2 & 3 of each month.
Lessons of 45 minutes or 1 hour or 1&½ hours, depending on the age and piano playing level of the student.
Class is open during all months of the year, but closed for some public holidays.
Students who are unable to attend class have the following options :
Audio/videos lessons at their regular lesson slot.
Skype lessons at their regular lesson slot.
A swap with another student (subject to availability).
3 Free Group lessons each month are offered to all students by way of make-ups for missed lessons. Students are encouraged to attend these lessons even when they don’t miss.
Lessons missed by the student will not be made up, except as above.
Lessons not taken due to public holidays or teacher leave will be rescheduled to Week 4 of the same month.
Other Information about piano lessons
Students submit a recorded assignment in advance via email, and the student and I do a joint assessment of submission during class time.
- I listen to the recording and then call up the student and discuss assessment criteria.
- Then we both listen to the recording separately, listening carefully and write down an assessment.
- I call up the student and we discuss the assessment, talk about the any questions the student has and set targets for the following class.
This class format is very effective with teaching students to hear their own playing and learn to assess it the way their teacher does.
These lessons work well with older students who are highly motivated and practise regularly. Students need :
- A high speed internet connection.
- To connect with me on Skype and be sure it works, before they choose this option.
- To have a camera attached to a tripod.
- To have their books, stationery and a flask of water on hand to get maximum in-camera time.
I’m new to this medium and teach on Skype in combination with In-Studio classes only.
Swapping slots with other students works when students inform me that they need to reschedule at the earliest and can be flexible with time slots. Swaps will only be offered if slots are available and I cannot guarantee that students will get a swap lesson when then request one.
3 Free Group Lessons each month
These lessons are held on the same day each month, during Week 1, 2 & 3. The weekday of this group lesson will be allotted before enrolment. Group lessons take the ‘solitary’ out of piano lessons and students have fun with different activities.
- Group rhythm activities with clapping, counting and rhythm games.
- Student performances.
- Duet playing – Students play duets with each other or with me.
Students will need to confirm their attendance via sms or at their previous class. Each student will be allowed to bring any one ‘guest’ to class, parent, sibling or friend, if we have place to accommodate them.
- Exams are optional. Students (especially new students), may be assessed to ensure that they are of the level needed, before exam fees are accepted.
- Students may appear for piano exams through Trinity College London or through any board of their choice.
- Students will appear for exams through me only and not directly. All administration work for the examinations will be done by me and forms once submitted cannot be changed or amended.
- Students will be assessed prior to their examination, so they have a rough idea of their readiness for the exam.
- Class recordings of students performing during piano class will be taken with a hands only view. I reserve the right to upload this publicly on any social media or on my blog, as long as the names and faces of students are not disclosed. These videos or recordings will be permanently added to my channel and will stay there even after students discontinue lessons, for as long as I keep them there.
Please remember that what sounds wonderful to a student may be just ‘barely ready’ with a lot of rough edges that need to be sorted out with further practise. Students will therefore need my approval before they participate in any music events or public performances.
Material given to my students
Any music, exercises or any kind of material or content given to my students, for their use during piano practise, or during piano class with me is given to them for their music education only. It is given to them under the agreement that they use it for the purpose of their music education while they study in my teaching studio only. Anyone making copies and circulating any of the above material to anyone or using it for any purpose other than mentioned above, violates the terms under which it has been given.
Some rules, guidelines and information
- Practising daily at home is not negotiable. Goals will be set jointly with students, keeping in mind what they want to learn, and the preferred pace. Students who cannot practise will be asked to take a break and return when they can practise.
- My teaching policies help me work without stress and help me plan my schedule in advance. This helps me study, practise and work on lesson plans, so that I give my best to each student.
- Students and ‘guests’ need to take care with the teaching premises :
- Food, water and sticky hands need to be kept away from the piano and any equipment or furniture.
- Children are not allowed to walk over the furniture. Playing on the floor is good, and I always have toys lying around for young children.
- Students need to remain in the teaching room, unless they need to use the washroom. The rest of my home is private and students are not allowed to explore it.
- The last 15 minutes of each lesson are a review. Parents who need to talk to me about their child may arrive early and ask questions during this review.
- I reserve the right to stop lessons for any reason I think fit and will refund fees for lessons not taken if I do so after payment has been made.
- Students need to arrive and be picked up on time. I am available during the students lesson time only. Students who are picked up late need to take care not to disturb the lesson of the next student or my non-lesson working time.
- When you need to talk to me. I’m available on the phone on weekdays during my working hours. Afternoon between 2pm to 4pm is the best time to get me.
Fees and books
Fees cover the cost of piano lessons, books and teaching material for students upto, and including Grade 4 level. The books include prescribed method & repertoire books, exam books and music manuscript books. Students who want additional books will need to purchase them separately.
The following students will not be eligible for the above and will need to bear the cost of their own books :
- Students beyond Grade 4 level.
- All students of any level who are in the teaching profession.
All students will need to carry a 100 page single lined book to use as their homework book.
- Non-Refundable Admission Fee : An admission fee equal to 2 months fees is due on immediately on admission, towards the fees of the first and the last months. Teaching material and books if applicable, will be purchased after fee payment (See fees and books) with this fee, and lessons will commence after that.
- Regular Fee : This is the fee per hour X number of hours booked per month.
- Discounted Fee : This fee is applicable to all students who have enrolled for continuous lessons and who pay via monthly post dated cheques, as per the due dates notified to them.
- Bounced cheques : are payable immediately in cash at the regular fee and no lessons will be taken until payment is made. Classes missed due to non-payment will not be made up.
- More details on the fee structure will be provided to you at the pre-admission interview.
- Lessons are booked by paying fees. The slot booked will be kept available for the student after booking only.
- Booking of fees is understood to be your consent to the terms and conditions on this page, and also to the respective lesson structure selected, which is available via a link on the ‘Piano lessons’ page in this website.
How to enrol in piano class
- Fill in your details in the ‘Contact me’ page, providing a contact number and your location, and I’ll get back to you.
- Give me a brief idea of your age, current occupation, what you want to learn and any music qualifications or knowledge you already have. This helps me know what kind of class to offer you.
- You will need to meet me for an interview and fill in an admission form.
- All details regarding what you want to learn and the the class and fee structure will discussed with you at the interview.
- The class slot you have selected will be reserved for you after you book it by paying your fees.
A warm welcome to all. Piano teaching is my profession as well as my hobby and I look forward to helping my students work towards their goals – whether it’s learning for relaxation or learning for achievement, exams and performances.
Anita E Kohli