Piano Lessons at Anitaelise Piano Studio
- Solo Piano Lessons for Children, Teens, Adults and Seniors
- Reading, Rhythm, Singing, Theory, Movement, and Playing & Practise Techniques
- Time and Workflow Management for older teens and adults
- Community with Monday Meet-Ups and Online Concerts
- Piano and Theory Examinations through Trinity College London or ABRSM (optional)
Hello and Welcome!
I’m Anita Elise Kohli and I conduct piano lessons for students who wish to experience the joy of learning. I love teaching the piano and am a piano teacher, an educator and a lifelong piano student.
Solo Piano Lessons
These lessons have one student at a time so students get individual attention.
All Lessons are conducted online at present. In-Studio Lessons will resume when we are past the need for restrictions and intermittent lockdowns and there is absolutely no risk arising from contact.
- The Lesson Duration depends on the students age, playing level, practise commitment and goals.
- Once-a-week Lessons from the 1st to the 28th of the month except for holidays mentioned below under Teaching Days.
- Student Goals are flexible and are set by the student. They can change as the students schedule changes and can vary from relaxed to fast-paced, with or without examination or performance goals.
- Synchronous Learning in Online Lessons and Asynchronous Learning with an Assessment of Recorded Assignments.
Monday Meet-Ups and Online Concerts bring students together and build a sense of community. These, and any other community activities held are optional, but highly recommended as students who attend regularly learn faster.
- Once-a-week lessons are conducted from the 1st to the 28th of each month except for teacher leave and specified public holidays as mentioned below.
- Extra Teaching Days may be opened between the 29th to 31st of each month when there are too many public holidays on any one day of the year. See Leave and Holidays.
Leave and Holidays
- 2 or 3 Weeks Teacher Leave in the year for a week at a time.
- May Holidays from the May 23rd to May 31st.
- December Holidays from December 22nd to January 1st.
- Holiday List 2021:
- Friday Jan 1st New Year.
- Tuesday Jan 26th Republic Day.
- Monday Mar 26 Holi.
- Friday April 2 Good Friday.
- Saturday May 1 Maharashtra Day.
- Friday Sep10 Ganesh Chaturthi.
- Saturday Oct2 Gandhi Jayanthi.
- Friday Oct 15 Dussehra.
- Thursday Nov 4 Diwali – Laxmi Puja.
- Friday Nov 5 Diwali – Govardhan Puja.
- Saturday Nov 6 Diwali – Bhau Bij.
- Leave taken during the year – Wednesday April 14 to Saturday April 17. Wednesday September 22 to Friday September 24.
- The Extra Month End Teaching Days of 2021 are:
- Friday 29Jan.
- Saturday 30Jan.
Advance Make Ups and Missed Lessons
- The students regular class schedule already has extra un-charged lessons (see fees).
- The Monday Meet-Ups, in addition to building community, provide extra teaching and function as an advance makeup for bad internet days, or days when students miss lessons.
- Students who plan to skip lessons for some reason may opt for Audio or Video Lessons.
- There are no extra unscheduled make-ups for when students miss lessons, other than the above.
These terms help me have Fixed Working Hours with time to study and practise, and keep improving the quality of my teaching. A Fixed Lesson Schedule helps student families plan vacations and family activities. A lesson slot at the same day and time each week gives students adequate practise time and this helps them get the most out of their lesson.
- Student information is confidential and homework recordings submitted by the student are used only for teaching, and are deleted after the lesson.
- Social Media – Students may, if they wish, submit videos to be posted publicly at my website, YouTube channel or on other social media platforms under the following terms:
- They will record these videos separately, hands only or with a profile view that conceals their faces.
- The names and identity of all students will be kept private. Anyone who wishes to be tagged may email me permissions with a link to their profile.
- Videos or recordings will be permanently added to my channel and will stay there for as long as I keep them there.
- These rules apply to all videos as well as YouTube Concerts at Anitaelise Piano Studio.
- Students participating in public events hosted by other organizers will submit their details, photographs and recordings for these events with the understanding that these will be shared publicly as per event rules.
- Students are not given recording access or permission to record during any lessons whether online or in-studio. Please talk to me at the start of the lesson if you need me to record sections of the lesson to help you practise.
Students may opt for Audio/Video Lessons at times when they are unable to attend their regular class. They are different from Recorded Assignments as they include ALL homework.
Students will need to upload their recordings one day before the lesson day and include the following:
- Recorded Assignments.
- Performance recordings of of all other work.
- Images of theory and written assignments if any.
- A video of the student with a head and shoulder view, where the student tells me about his/her practise, asks questions and tells me what they’d like to focus on for the week.
Camera shy students may send in an audio recording, however I recommend video because seeing as well as hearing the student gives me an idea of how relaxed or busy their schedule is. And this helps me modify teaching to suit student needs.
All work submitted is assessed, and I record teaching videos and instructions during the students regular class time.
- Examinations are optional and students may choose to study with or without them.
- Students may choose to appear for piano exams through Trinity College London, ABRSM or LCM. Online examinations are now available.
- Students living in India will book their examinations through Anitaelise Piano Studio.
- Students living in UK will book their examination directly and enter details of Anitaelise Piano Studio in the ‘presented by’ or ‘teacher details’ field. They will send me a PDF image of their report and certificate afterwards.
Before the Examination
A piano examination is very different from a written examination. Performance levels only stay consistent with regular practise, and diminish with gaps in practise.
- Please discuss any pre-examination holiday plans with me when planning dates of examinations.
- Students will be assessed before the examination, so they have a fair idea of their readiness for the examination and a time to brush up weak areas.
- Fees for online examinations are due after the examination recordings is complete. Fees for face-to-face examinations may be paid after all examination work has been learned.
Please remember that what sounds wonderful to a student may be just ‘barely ready’ with a lot of rough edges that need to be sorted out with further practise. Students will therefore need my approval before they participate in any music events or public performances.
Some Rules, Guidelines and Information
- Practising daily at home is not negotiable. Students, with teacher guidance, will set their own goals based on what they want to learn, the time they can put into daily practise and the preferred pace of learning.
- My teaching policy helps me work without stress, minimize administration work and have more time to study, practise and work on lesson plans, so that I give my best to each student.
- For In-Studio Lessons:
- Students will use the teaching premises and pianos with care, as instructed.
- Food, water and sticky hands need to be kept away from the piano and any equipment or furniture.
- Children are not allowed to walk over the furniture.
- Playing on the floor is good, and I always have toys lying around for young children.
- Students need to remain in the teaching room, unless they need to use the washroom. The rest of my home is private and students are not allowed to explore it.
- Please use mild deodorants and perfumes when you visit, and refrain from spraying your clothes with these products as I am allergic to strong perfumes.
- All minors will be picked up or dropped for class by a family member or any person authorized, who has been introduced to me, and who leaves after I have opened the door and let the child in.
- Students need arrive and leave on time. For occasional late pick-ups, please leave without disturbing the lesson of the next student.
- For On-Line Lessons:
- Please set-up in advance and check your set-up. My post A Student’s Guide To Online Piano Lessons will help new students with this.
- Video/Audio Lessons will replace online lessons when lessons cannot be done online due to internet or power issues. See Advance MakeUps for other extra lessons in the regular lesson schedule.
- I reserve the right to stop lessons immediately for any reason I think fit and in this case, will refund fees for lessons I do not teach if they have been paid for. The above refund does not apply to when students miss lessons.
Teaching and Phone Call Timings
- Teaching Timings:
- Monday Meet-Ups:
- Children 6.00pm – 30 minutes.
- Teens 6.30pm – 45 minutes.
- Adults 7.15pm – 45 minutes.
- Solo and Partner Lessons as per time slots allotted to students:
- Wednesday 2.00pm to 8.30pm.
- Friday from 6.00pm to 8.30pm – afternoon slots may be opened shortly.
- Saturdays from 2.30pm to 4.30pm.
- Monday Meet-Ups:
- Phone Call Timings:
- Weekdays 10.30am to 5.30pm and Saturdays 11.00am to 12.30pm.
- Afternoons (except Wednesdays and Saturdays) are the best time to get me.
- Please call for urgent communications.
What Your Fees Pay For
- Fees cover the costs of Synchronous Lessons – Online or In-Studio Piano Lessons, as well as the Asynchronous Lesson – A Review of Recorded Assignments.
- They also cover the cost of some books, as listed below.
* Short duration Sight Reading Lessons of 20 Minutes duration (offered to motivated and independent older learners) do not include asynchronous lessons.
Books, Permissions and Copyright
The books used for piano lessons will be chosen based on the students choice of genre, learning style and goals, keeping in mind the method or series that provides better learning and music comprehension.
- For students living in Navi Mumbai:
- Fees cover the cost of the books mentioned below, if the student provides a mailing address.
- The Lesson and Theory Method Book.
- Specified Classical Repertoire Books.
- Digital Studio Licensed Music that is licensed to me with permission to distribute to my students for use in my piano lessons, either as a printed book, or in digital form.
- Fees do not cover the following books:
- Sight-reading and song books.
- Books and material needed for examinations.
- Fees cover the cost of the books mentioned below, if the student provides a mailing address.
- For students living anywhere other than Navi Mumbai, or Navi Mumbai students who don’t provide a mailing address.
- Fees cover the cost of Digital Studio Licensed Music that is licensed to me with permission to distribute to my students for use in my piano lessons, in digital form only.
- Fees do not cover any books except for the above.
- Fees also do not cover the following:
- Workshops and concerts at an external venue, whether organized by me or anyone else.
- HW books – an A4 sized 100-page lined exercise book for notes.
- Music manuscripts, except for a free manuscript paper printable.
- Examination fees.
- Digital music the students receive from me, whether via courier or email, is licensed for use by my students only, and for the duration of learning with me only.
- Lessons will be conducted using books and material that are legal, and the use of unlicensed photocopies is not allowed.
- Making copies and circulating any books or materials provided, or using it for any purpose other than mentioned above, violates the terms under which it has been given.
Please respect the above terms and help composers earn a living.
Fees and Due Dates
- A Registration Fee is payable on enrolment. It covers guidance on posture, set-up for online lessons and recording practise at home, and some teaching so you can practise for your first lesson. It is applicable to all enrolments, including ex-students resuming after a break from lessons.
- Lesson Fees are Quarterly Fees payable for 3 months at a time for 9 lessons in each quarter. All extra lessons in the teaching schedule are not charged – See Advance Make Ups above.
- All fees and payments received are Non-Refundable.
- Fees are due in advance on the 10th of the month before the period they pertain to. Fees remaining unpaid 5 days later, after the 15th will have an additional Late Fee, to cover the time I spend on extra administration work for late payments.
- Fee payments are accepted via NEFT only.
- Receipts are recorded in the students ‘Notices’ file, a PDF that is sent to each student once every quarter.
- Students enrolled for 6 complete months or more get a Free Last Month of Lessons in the next quarter, to summarize important points in their learning and help them move on to the next phase in their journey with piano playing.
- Lessons are booked by paying fees.
- Fee payment is understood to be your consent to the terms and conditions on this page.
How to enroll in piano class
- Click here to send me a message.
- Remember to add your contact details.
- Give me a brief idea of your age, current occupation, what you want to learn and any music qualifications or knowledge you already have. This helps me know what kind of class to offer you.
- You will need to meet me in-person or on a video call for an interview where we will talk about what you want to learn. I will explain the class and the fee structure at the interview.
- The class slot you have selected will be reserved for you after you book it by paying your fees.