Welcome to my piano teaching studio!
I’ve been teaching in Mumbai since 2001. In Andheri & Bandra West, as well as in Khargar, Navi Mumbai. We moved to Khargar in 2010 and I’ve been teaching here full-time since 2015.
I teach students of all ages in Solo lessons, planning lessons to suit individual styles of learning.
- Different styles of learning : My piano students learn to read written music notation and study music theory. Lessons include rhythm exercises and singing. Some lessons have a ‘no book’ approach so that students learn by listening and copying (learning by rote). These different styles of learning help my students get a better understanding of music.
- Music from different genres : I teach western classical piano music as well as hymns, pop and jazz, using a combination of traditional piano method books & books from the genre the student wishes to learn. My young students have fun with off-the-piano-bench activities, while I enjoy these activities because they have educational value.
- Benefits of one-on-one teaching : My students get individual attention and the lesson plan is flexible and is adapted to the students learning style.
I love teaching the piano! It’s wonderful to see my students grow in music and to see the personality growth that results from all that goes into learning the piano. I’m a piano teacher & educator, and am also a lifelong student.
Anita E Kohli,
B. Com, PGDBA (Indo-German Training Centre), ATCL Piano
The Lesson Structure :
- One lesson each week on the allotted day and 3 Lessons a month.
- Lessons are held in Week 1, 2 & 3 of each month.
- Lessons of 45 minutes or 1 hour or 1&½ hours, depending on the age and piano playing level of the student.
- Class is open during all months of the year, but closed for some public holidays.
- Students who are unable to attend class have the following options :
- Audio/videos lessons at their regular lesson slot.
- A swap with another student (subject to availability).
- Lessons missed by the student will not be made up, except as above.
- Free Extra Lessons on Flex days : Any student who practises and does all their homework will be offered extra lessons at no charge, on my ‘Flex days’. This lesson may be a group lesson with other students, or a solo lesson.
- Lessons not taken due to public holidays or teacher leave will be rescheduled to Week 4 of the same month.
Other Information about piano lessons
Students submit a recorded assignment in advance via email, and the student and I do a joint assessment of submission during class time.
- I listen to the recording and then call up the student and discuss assessment criteria.
- Then we both listen to the recording separately, listening carefully and write down an assessment.
- I call up the student and we discuss the assessment, talk about the any questions the student has and set targets for the following class.
This class format is very effective with teaching students to hear their own playing and learn to assess it the way their teacher does.
Swapping slots with other students works when students inform me that they need to reschedule at the earliest and can be flexible with time slots. Swaps will only be offered if slots are available and I cannot guarantee that students will get a swap lesson when then request one.
A flex day is any extra day which I make available for my students for extra free lessons. These lessons are an incentive for students to practise regularly. They also work as a substitute for when students miss lessons.
I have 2 or 3 flex days each month on fixed days and encourage students to keep these days in their schedule free, so they can avail of these lessons.
Students who don’t practise regularly cannot avail of any free extra lessons.
- Examinations are optional, and students may choose to study with or without them.
- Students may appear for piano exams through Trinity College London or through any board of their choice.
- Students will appear for exams through me only and not directly.
- All administration work for the examinations will be done by me and forms once submitted cannot be changed or amended.
- Pre-Examination Holiday Plans : Any holiday plans between payment of fees and the exam date need to be discussed with me before fee payment. Holidays often disrupt examination work, and either the holiday or the examination may need to be postponed to avoid this.
- Assessment before Fee Payment : Students will be assessed at class to ensure that they have the knowledge needed for the examination, before exam fees are accepted.
- Pre-Examination Assessment :
- Students will be assessed prior to their examination and the examination slip will only be given to those are ready, and get through the assessment.
- Students who skip class and who stop practising after submission of examination forms have the following options :
- Extra lessons : They may book extra lessons which are charged, get their work ready, and get through the Pre-Examination Assessment.
- Skip the examination and forfeit the fees : Fees paid to the examination board are not eligible for refund. Students who cannot get through the Pre-Examination Assessment will not get their examination slips and will have to forfeit the fees.
- Students will need to demonstrate the following at Pre-Examination Assessment :
- That they have completed the scales and arpeggios assigned by me as prep work and can play those in the syllabus slowly.
- Have sight-read a substantial part of 3 examination pieces and 3 exercises slowly.
- Have mastered the art of practise that I consider essential for their examination level, age, and learning style.
- That they can handle examination work, learn/sight-read very easy pieces side by side. And run through old pieces to reinforce their learning and ensure that the knowledge they have will stay with them.
- That they have learned and applied guidance on scheduling practise, or have adequate parent support with scheduling (for young students).
- That they have implemented the guidance provided during lessons to help them do all of the above work with ease, and have fun with the process.
- Paying any examination fees to me, is understood to be an agreement of these terms.
- Class recordings of students performing during piano class will be taken with a hands only view. I reserve the right to upload this publicly on any social media or on my blog, as long as the names and faces of students are not disclosed. These videos or recordings will be permanently added to my channel and will stay there even after students discontinue lessons, for as long as I keep them there.
- Parents sitting in on piano lessons are permitted to record sections of the lessons for practise only, subject to my approval – with the condition that they keep these recordings private.
Please remember that what sounds wonderful to a student may be just ‘barely ready’ with a lot of rough edges that need to be sorted out with further practise. Students will therefore need my approval before they participate in any music events or public performances.
Some rules, guidelines and information
- Practising daily at home is not negotiable. Goals will be set jointly with students, keeping in mind what they want to learn, and the preferred pace. Students who cannot practise will be asked to take a break and return when they can practise.
- My teaching policies help me work without stress and help me plan my schedule in advance. This helps me study, practise and work on lesson plans, so that I give my best to each student.
- Students and ‘guests’ need to take care with the teaching premises :
- Food, water and sticky hands need to be kept away from the piano and any equipment or furniture.
- Children are not allowed to walk over the furniture. Playing on the floor is good, and I always have toys lying around for young children.
- Students need to remain in the teaching room, unless they need to use the washroom. The rest of my home is private and students are not allowed to explore it.
- Allergy caution as I am allergic to perfumes: Please use mild deodorants and perfumes when you visit, and refrain from spraying your clothes with these products.
- The last 15 minutes of each lesson are a review. Parents who need to talk to me about their child may arrive early and ask questions during this review.
- I reserve the right to stop lessons for any reason I think fit and will refund fees for lessons not taken if I do so after payment has been made.
- Students need to arrive and be picked up on time. I am available during the students lesson time only. Students who are picked up late need to take care not to disturb the lesson of the next student or my non-lesson working time.
- When you need to talk to me. I’m available on the phone on weekdays during my working hours. Afternoon between 2pm to 4pm is the best time to get me.
Fees and books
Fees cover the cost of piano lessons, books and teaching material .
- For students upto and including Grade 4 level, the fees per hour include the book fee.
- Above Grade 4 level : My fees per hour for this level used to exclude books. However, my existing students have opted for an additional book fee since July 2019. So, to make calculations simple, the book fee will be added to the fee per hour from October 2019, keeping the total amount the same.
The books include prescribed method & repertoire books, exam books and music manuscript books, as well as material I create for my students.
Please respect Copyright and help composers earn.
Any music, exercises or any kind of material or content given to my students, for their use during piano practise, or during piano class with me is given to them for their music education only.
- My book fee helps me purchase books for my students, so all music is legal.
- Material printed by me under a studio license I have purchased, or any material written by me, is licensed to the student for his or her own use only, and for the duration of learning with me only.
- Making copies and circulating any books or materials provided under the book fee to anyone or using it for any purpose other than mentioned above, violates the terms under which it has been given.
I ask students to respect composers and help them earn, by abiding by the above terms and conditions.
All students will need to carry a 100 page single lined book to use as their homework book.
- Fees for Lessons may be paid Monthly, or in a Lumpsum (for 3 months at a time). Students can choose the option they prefer. All fees are due in advance and lessons will be scheduled after payment.
- A One-Time Non-Refundable Admission Deposit Fee is due on immediately on admission, along with the fees for lessons. These are the fees for the last month of lessons.
- The admission deposit functions as one months notice when students stop lessons. This is a buffer against erratic income flows. It gives me time to adjust to a changing income flow, or take on another student and keep my income flow steady.
- It also gives me immediate funds to spend on books and teaching materials specific to the student, when lessons begin. And plan study to cater to student-specific teaching needs in advance.
- Students can pay my regular fee, or pay by a specified time schedule and avail of a discounted fee.
- The Regular Fee : is my fee per hour X number of hours booked per month.
- The Discounted Fee : This fee is applicable to all students who have enrolled for continuous lessons and who pay on time, as per due dates applicable.
- Fee payment modes : All fees are due via NEFT only.
- Classes missed due to late payment of fees will not be made up.
- More details on the fee structure will be provided to you at the pre-admission interview.
- Lessons are booked by paying fees. The slot booked will be kept available for the student after booking only.
- Booking of fees is understood to be your consent to the terms and conditions on this page, and also to the respective lesson structure selected, which is available via a link on the ‘Piano lessons’ page in this website.
How to enrol in piano class
- Fill in your details in the ‘Contact me’ page, providing a contact number and your location, and I’ll get back to you.
- Give me a brief idea of your age, current occupation, what you want to learn and any music qualifications or knowledge you already have. This helps me know what kind of class to offer you.
- You will need to meet me for an interview and fill in an admission form.
- All details regarding what you want to learn and the the class and fee structure will discussed with you at the interview.
- The class slot you have selected will be reserved for you after you book it by paying your fees.
A warm welcome to all. Piano teaching is my profession as well as my hobby and I look forward to helping my students work towards their goals – whether it’s learning for relaxation or learning for achievement, exams and performances.
Anita E Kohli