Welcome to my piano teaching studio!
I’ve been teaching in Mumbai since 2001. In Andheri & Bandra West, as well as in Khargar, Navi Mumbai. We moved to Khargar in 2010 and I’ve been teaching here full-time since 2015.
I teach students of all ages in Solo lessons, planning lessons to suit individual styles of learning. I also offer Combination Lessons (Solo + Partner) to students who want the benefits of a Solo Lesson, and learn better when they have the company of another student to motivate them.
- Different styles of learning : My piano students learn to read written music notation and study music theory. Lessons include rhythm exercises and singing. Some lessons have a ‘no book’ approach so that students learn by listening and copying (learning by rote). These different styles of learning help my students get a better understanding of music.
- Music from different genres : I teach western classical piano music as well as hymns, pop and jazz, using a combination of traditional piano method books & books from the genre the student wishes to learn. My young students have fun with off-the-piano-bench activities, while I enjoy these activities because they have educational value.
- Benefits of one-on-one teaching : My students get individual attention and the lesson plan is flexible and is adapted to the students learning style.
I love teaching the piano! It’s wonderful to see my students grow in music and to see the personality growth that results from all that goes into learning the piano. I’m a piano teacher & educator, and am also a lifelong student.
Anita E Kohli,
B. Com, PGDBA (Indo-German Training Centre), ATCL Piano
The Lesson Structure :
- One lesson each week on the allotted day between the 1st to the 28th of each month, except for :
- Specified Public Holidays as per the list provided.
- 2 / 3 Weeks Teacher Leave in the year for a week at a time.
- May and December Holidays from the 22nd to the month end.
- Class is generally closed on the 29th to 31st of each month. However, these days may be used to make up lessons where there are too many public holidays on one particular week day in the year, or for Flex Lessons.
- Solo Lessons or Combination Lessons (Solo + Partner) – as per the students need or choice) of 45 minutes or 1 hour or 1&½ hours, depending on the age and piano playing level of the student.
- Lessons missed by the student will not be made up. Students are encouraged to submit recordings for an Audio/Video Lesson, for assessment during their regular slot, rather than miss lessons completely.
- Lessons missed by students will be offered to other students as Swaps. These are offered only to students who practise.
- Effectively, all students get 40 paid lessons in a calendar year, plus extra Free Flex Lessons. These Free Flex Lessons also function as an Advance Make Up for public holidays and teacher leave.
- The purpose of this policy is :
- Fixed working hours, so that I have time to study regularly.
- Easier scheduling and holiday planning for my student families, by providing free extra lessons at the students regular lesson day and time, rather than at different days and time slots as I did earlier.
Other Information about piano lessons
Students submit a recorded assignment in advance via email, and the student and I both do a joint assessment of submission during class time.
- I listen to the recording and then call up the student and discuss assessment criteria.
- Then we both listen to the recording separately, listening carefully and write down an assessment.
- I call up the student and we discuss the assessment, talk about the any questions the student has and set targets for the following class.
This class format is very effective with teaching students to listen to their own playing and learn to assess it the way their teacher does.
Any slots free because students are unable to attend class will first be offered to other students who need to reschedule their lessons in advance. After this, the slot will be offered to all other students who practise, and have something ready to work on in a Piano Workshop Style group session.
Free Flex Lessons
Any lessons offered free, over and above the 40 paid lessons in the year are Free Flex Lessons.
These lessons also work as an Advance Make-Up for days on which class is closed due to public holidays and teacher leave.
- Examinations are optional, and students may choose to study with or without them.
- Students may choose to appear for piano exams through Trinity College London, ABRSM or LCM.
- Students will appear for exams through me only and not directly.
- All administration work for the examinations will be done by me and forms once submitted cannot be changed or amended.
- Pre-Examination Holiday Plans : Any holiday plans between payment of examination fees and the exam date need to be discussed with me before fee payment. Holidays often disrupt examination work, and either the holiday or the examination may need to be postponed to avoid this.
- Assessment before Fee Payment : Students will be assessed at class to ensure that they have the knowledge needed for the examination, before exam fees are accepted.
- Pre-Examination Assessment :
- Students will be assessed prior to their examination and the examination slip will only be given to those are ready, and get through the assessment.
- Students who skip class, who stop practising after submission of examination forms, or who go on unscheduled holidays have the following options :
- Extra lessons : They may book extra lessons which are charged, get their work ready, and get through the Pre-Examination Assessment.
- Skip the examination and forfeit the fees : Fees paid to the examination board are not eligible for refund. Students who cannot get through the Pre-Examination Assessment will not get their examination slips and will have to forfeit the fees.
- Paying any examination fees to me, is understood to be an agreement of these terms.
- Class recordings of students performing during piano class will be taken with a hands only view. I reserve the right to upload this publicly on any social media or on my blog, as long as the names and faces of students are not disclosed. These videos or recordings will be permanently added to my channel and will stay there even after students discontinue lessons, for as long as I keep them there.
- Parents sitting in on piano lessons are permitted to record sections of the lessons for practise only, subject to my approval – with the condition that they keep these recordings private.
Please remember that what sounds wonderful to a student may be just ‘barely ready’ with a lot of rough edges that need to be sorted out with further practise. Students will therefore need my approval before they participate in any music events or public performances.
Some rules, guidelines and information
- Practising daily at home is not negotiable. Goals will be set jointly with students, keeping in mind what they want to learn, and the preferred pace. Students who cannot practise will be asked to take a break and return when they can practise.
- My teaching policies help me work without stress and help me plan my schedule in advance. This helps me study, practise and work on lesson plans, so that I give my best to each student.
- Students and ‘guests’ need to take care with the teaching premises :
- Food, water and sticky hands need to be kept away from the piano and any equipment or furniture.
- Children are not allowed to walk over the furniture. Playing on the floor is good, and I always have toys lying around for young children.
- Students need to remain in the teaching room, unless they need to use the washroom. The rest of my home is private and students are not allowed to explore it.
- Allergy caution as I am allergic to perfumes: Please use mild deodorants and perfumes when you visit, and refrain from spraying your clothes with these products.
- The last 15 minutes of each lesson are a review. Parents who need to talk to me about their child may arrive early and ask questions during this review.
- I reserve the right to stop lessons for any reason I think fit and will refund fees for lessons not taken if I do so after payment has been made.
- Students need to arrive and be picked up on time. I am available during the students lesson time only. Students who are picked up late need to take care not to disturb the lesson of the next student or my non-lesson working time.
- When you need to talk to me. I’m available on the phone on weekdays during my working hours. Afternoon between 2pm to 4pm is the best time to get me.
Books, Permissions and Copyright
- Fees cover the cost of piano lessons, books and teaching material for students of all levels.
- Students only need to carry their own homework book – an A4 sized 100 page lined exercise book.
The books provided under the student fee include prescribed method & repertoire books, exam books and music manuscript books, as well as material I create for my students.
- All music provided is legal.
- Material printed by me under a studio license I have purchased, or any material written by me, is licensed to the student for his or her own use only, and for the duration of learning with me only.
- Making copies and circulating any books or materials provided, or using it for any purpose other than mentioned above, violates the terms under which it has been given.
Please respect composers and help them earn, by keeping to the above terms and conditions.
The Fee Structure
- There are 2 different fee levels :
- Beginner Level to Grade 4.
- Grade 5 and above.
- Fees are accepted via NEFT, and students may choose to pay Monthly, or in a Lumpsum (for 3 months at a time).
- Students who pay fees in advance, by the 15th of the previous month, are eligible for a discounted fee.
- Admission Deposit : A deposit equal to one months fees is payable at the time of admission. This deposit is not refundable, and it covers fees for the last month of lessons.
- It functions as one months notice when students stop lessons. This gives me time to adjust my teaching expenses to a changing income flow, or take on another student and keep my income flow steady.
- It also gives me immediate funds to spend on books and teaching materials specific to the student, when lessons begin. And also funds to spend on study to cater to student-specific teaching needs in advance.
- Lessons are booked by paying fees.
- Booking of fees is understood to be your consent to the terms and conditions on this page.
How to enrol in piano class
- Fill in your details in the ‘Contact me’ page, providing a contact number and your location, and I’ll get back to you.
- Give me a brief idea of your age, current occupation, what you want to learn and any music qualifications or knowledge you already have. This helps me know what kind of class to offer you.
- You will need to meet me for an interview.
- All details regarding what you want to learn and the the class and fee structure will discussed with you at the interview.
- The class slot you have selected will be reserved for you after you book it by paying your fees.
A warm welcome to all. Piano teaching is my profession as well as my hobby. I enjoy helping my students work towards their goals – whether it’s learning for relaxation or learning for achievement, exams and performances.
Anita E Kohli