Some students learn very slowly during the first few months of piano lessons while others learn very quick. The way to quick learning is often quite simple.
So here’s 15 easy steps to effective learning in piano class.
- Arrive at class on time. Leave home budgeting time for traffic jams and other delays, so you walk in relaxed. You will learn better.
- Take all your books to class – that includes your homework book & theory book. Check you’ve not left your books on the piano keyboard at home before you leave for class.
- Carry your reading glasses/spectacles with you.
- Attend class or remember to reschedule if you need to miss. Else you will not get a make-up class.
- Leave a little extra time in your daily schedule so there’s time when you need flex or just want to relax a little in between. Practise needs to be done with a relaxed frame of mind to be really effective.
- Pay attention to your posture and use a suitable piano bench.
- Practise – don’t just play. Practise daily.
- Play games or enroll in a sports class for exercise. Getting enough physical activity improves focus.
- Pack all your books up after class and make sure you take them home.
- Read your homework book when you practise and follow your teacher’s instructions.
- Set a practise schedule with a choice of 2 or 3 practise slots, so you can change your practise time to suit your moods
- Play for your family, and participate in student concerts whenever you get an opportunity.
- Play a little to relax even on busy days.
- Did I say practise daily? Yes, that’s the most important thing to do.